Nobody likes a noob. They’re needy, clueless, and they’re always asking a billion questions… So how do you level up?
Locking In: 1 Day – 1 Month
There are over 200 different industries you can choose to jump into, and with every industry brings its own handful of niches. However, most mainstream niches are pretty crowded at this point, so you’ll have to dig a little deeper into sub-niches.
What Is A Sub-Niche?
A sub-niche market is a very small market niche having a specific appeal. A small, focused group of individuals removed from the mainstream marketplace.
Sub-niche marketing is the process of finding niche markets where the individuals can be broken down into smaller subsets of the niche itself. Usually, this occurs in larger niche markets where the niche may no longer be targeted enough to satisfy the entire population of that niche.
Industry: “Art, Entertainment, & Recreation”
Sub-Niche: “Watercolor Paintings Without Paintbrushes”
Sub-niches are profitable markets, especially when customers feel their needs aren’t been sufficiently met by the larger niche market.
You don’t need to go all-in on a sub-niche at this very moment, but you probably have an idea of what industry or niche you want to look into first. Do some searching on the web to see how much competition you’re dealing with (or if there is any at all) and think about what you could do to improve the area.
Locking in on a profitable sub-niche will allow you to answer the needs that have been unmet for far too long, thus getting satisfied, loyal customers and the profits you need to thrive.
Bookmark this article and come back to it when you’ve decided on what sub-niche you want to take over.
Buckling Down: 1 Month
You’ve done it. You’ve decided. Now, what’s the next move?
You need to become a sponge for the next few weeks. The action stage is coming but it isn’t quite time to execute just yet.
Head to your local book store and search for everything on the niche you chose. If there’s nothing there, hit up Amazon’s selection and see what you can find.
Reading up on the subject is the most important stage of the entire process. If you’re not at least three steps ahead of your students at all times, they will make you look like the noob you are.
Take note of every new thing you learn no matter how big or small and keep reading. The goal is to pick up the basics and dig deeper into every corner of the sub-niche. You’re looking for the “diamonds” – the little known bits of info that the average noob wouldn’t know but wants to know.
Revving Up: 8 Months
Just because you have a few rough diamonds doesn’t mean you’re in the money yet. A freshly mined “diamond” isn’t worth anything until it’s cut, polished, and marked up for retail prices.
Explore every avenue of your sub-niche and compile the best data to support your content and your cause. Give away the good stuff for free and save the great stuff for later (see Following Through).
Compose tweets, craft Instagram posts, build a website, write blog posts, and begin to show your target audience what you know. For quite some time you will need to build authority and engage with the community.
How To Engage With The Community?
Every platform has its own set of techniques to engage with others and build an audience, so I will give you a few quick tips to do so on all the most popular platforms at this time.
Pro Tip: Only focus on one (or possibly two) at a time to maximize your results and lead to quicker mastery.
- Tweet at least 5 times per day – not nonsense but valuable insights.
- Adding entertainment aspects to your content with replies and funny GIFs.
- Avoiding trending topics unless they directly connect with your sub-niche.
- Quote tweeting and replying to large accounts + adding knowledgable additions to their popular content.
- Following people who are actually supporting you.
- Read the full post on Twitter growth.
- Finding relevant hashtags and living in the “recently posted” area – use up every single one of your likes on posts that don’t look like spam.
- Be sure to have at least 10 or so posts to keep profile visitors entertained.
- Comment as much as you can (without exceeding limits) and try to offer information or congratulations to other users.
- Only follow the people who like your content and/or follow you in the first place.
- Post 1-3 times per day.
- Repin at least 25 items every single day.
- Don’t follow people to try to gain followers because most people won’t notice.
- Pin your own original content at least 5 times per day but don’t exceed 100.
- Link back to your website, Twitter, or Instagram in all your pins.
- There’s no need to comment on pins because it’s unlikely to be seen.
- Post 1-3 times every day, if possible.
- Use relevant hashtags for your sub-niche and be sure to add #fyp for an added view boost outside your target audience.
- Sign up for analytics to get better insights on your growth.
- Don’t be afraid to follow smaller accounts – larger accounts won’t really take notice.
- After following new users, go and like their new/old content (your liked videos remain locked unless you choose to unlock them).
- Watch entertaining and humorous trends to see if you can participate.
- Create a page (if you haven’t already) and invite all your friends/family to like the page. Then, encourage them to invite their friends too.
- Post 1-5 times per day whether it’s original content, memes, or content that needs to be shared.
- Invite people to like your page if they’ve liked any of your posts.
- Respond to users in both the DMs and comments in a fun, human way.
- Personalize your new connections with a small message instead of just hitting the “connect” button.
- Post often to create additional opportunities for engagement, and forget about “annoying people” by posting every day. The algorithm is tricky and your network isn’t likely to see your posts unless you publish often.
- Add images to every post that you can.
- Engage with existing connections via DM’s and on the home feed by congratulating and educating.
- Build your videos around one keyword/topic – i.e. your sub-niche.
- Reformat your old video content into high-quality productions.
- Reinforce your branding with a better profile image/header/custom thumbnails.
- Promote your YouTube channel across every platform you can.
- Always ask new viewers to subscribe and like your video to give your content a boost.
- Increase the number/frequency of videos you upload.
Are you going to be attacking multiple platforms at once? Choosing two complementary platforms will help you speed up your results.
Twitter + LinkedIn
You can easily turn tweets into LinkedIn posts by copy/pasting your tweets to your LinkedIn updates – add an image for more success.
Instagram + Facebook
Instagram and Facebook have been linked automatically, so you should take advantage of cross-platform promotions to make sure neither audience goes stale.
Pinterest + Blog
Embedded pins in your blog post will make it easier for you to share the content with your Pinterest followers and ensure your followers have something to share back to Pinterest if they read your articles.
TikTok + YouTube
Creating on TikTok gives your content a chance to go viral, but building an audience on YouTube brings stability and a backbone to your content. Plus, YouTube videos will give you a SEO boost if done right. Share all your videos to TikTok, and then, upload your best ones to YouTube.
Following Through: 2 Months
After all the time you’ve spent finding your sub-niche, educating yourself, and building your brand, you’re ready for the next step: Finding/Creating Your Product/Service.
The most popular ways to start generating an income from your work is to create digital products, finding low-cost, high-margin products, or offering your services to other people.
Again, you will have to make a decision on what will be best for you and the first choice isn’t always the right choice. This is why I give a two-month window for making things happen. You shouldn’t move at a glacial pace, but you also shouldn’t move so quickly that you neglect quality. Don’t be afraid to test out different products and services until you find the right one.
Each platform will give you a way to link to an online store, a blog, or other profitable options. Post about your future releases, build hype around your product drops, and get ready to have your hands full when everything goes in your favor.