Do something to bring a smile to someone’s face. Whether it’s someone you know or a complete stranger, here are 50 easy ways to brighten someone’s day…
Doing something rare is a perfect way to improve someone’s day or get unsuspected smiles. Generosity towards others won’t just heighten their happiness but your own too!
Acts of kindness release nearly 50 percent more oxytocin, which boosts problem-solving skills, creativity, and resilience. Something as simple as a small conversation can boost your mood and spread good vibes in the environment around you.
You can try any of the examples below and add any of your own generous acts in the comments! Tell everyone how it affected your mood and positive emotions.
1. Drop off dessert at your local law enforcement station.
2. Donate blood to a good cause.
3. Bring coffee or lunch to someone you haven’t seen in a while.
4. Smile at everyone you encounter for a day.
5. Reach out to your favorite childhood teacher and thank them for their role in your life.
6. Call your parents and tell them how much you love them.
7. Buy coffee for the person in line behind you.
8. Donate your time at a local charity.
9. Call up and old friend and reconnect.
10. Bring a snack to share at the office or class.
11. Compliment a friend or complete stranger.
12. Give a copy of your favorite book to someone.
13. Write an extended letter to a friend, family member, or loved one.
14. Ask someone about their day and actively listen.
15. Make a meal for a friend who has been stressed.
16. Start a conversation with a stranger in line.
17. Buy lunch for someone sitting at another table in a restaurant.
18. Babysit your friend’s or family’s children so that they can have a night alone.
19. Sign up to read at children’s reading hour at the library or local bookstore.
20. Put money in a stranger’s parking meter.
21. Offer to keep a friend company while they run errands.
22. Leave a large tip for no reason.
23. Take your supervisor out to lunch and thank them for what they do.
24. Have a conversation where you focus on saying less and listening more.
25. Make an anonymous donation to a local charity.
26. Ask someone, anyone, how you can help them today.
27. Share what you know with someone. Send a link to good information or tell them what you did when it comes to traveling/work/challenges/life.
28. Serve your spouse as if they were at a spa.
29. Buy supplies for someone to encourage a new hobby. Or invite them to join you at yours.
30. Empathize with someone.
31. Change the ringtone on your phone for your spouse to something that you both love.
32. Bring your neighbor’s trashcans back to the house.
33. Listen… even if you’ve already heard the story!
34. Prepare the coffee maker for the next person to use it.
35. Pick up the litter on the street when you pass it.
36. Offer to mow your neighbor’s lawn if they’re going through a hard time or just because.
37. Shovel your neighbor’s sidewalk/driveway.
38. Leave a piece of candy or a snack on a coworkers desk.
39. Let your children, friends, or family win at a game you always beat them at.
40. Ask an elderly person to share a story about their past.
41. Share your umbrella on a rainy day.
42. Leave a joke on someone’s voicemail.
43. Wave to someone!
44. Ask for someone’s opinion on something.
45. Sing and dance in your care at stoplights, and then when others start watching – smile and wave.
46. Give stuff away.
47. Text or email a funny picture of yourself to a friend.
48. Stick googly eyes in random places to make people smile.
49. Send someone an e-Card.
50. Leave a beer on a friend’s porch with a note and then doorbell dash.