A delicious lunch or early dinner option that is meat-free. This flavorful cranberry sauce and vegan turkey sandwich was provided by Vegan Turned On.
This article was provided by Vegan Turned On
As you may have figured from my excitement, this cranberry sauce is a Thanksgiving MUST, no ifs, ands or buts!
- 1 lb. fresh cranberries
- 1 navel orange, remove peel, white outer membrane and center core
- 1 small apple, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped or crushed
- 1/2 cup craisins
- Combine 1/2 lb. of cranberries and orange in a food processor or Vitamix using metal blades. Make sure it is only a few quick rapid pulses so that the cranberries don’t completely blend and stay crunchy.
- Throw in the other 1/2 lb. in the food processor and do the same
- Pour mixture into large mixing bowl
- Mix in apple, brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, pecans, and craisins
- Mix well, cover and let it sit in the fridge overnight (the longer it sits the better the flavor!)
Visit Vegan Turned On
I wanted to incorporate this amazing sauce into something quick and easy to give you an idea of how else to eat it even after the holidays when you have a bunch leftover. I went and got “Prairie Bread” from Whole Foods (which I thought was fitting because it has pumpkin seeds), some Chao Original vegan cheese, vegan deli turkey, and vegan mayo. So naturally, I made a sandwich, toasty, whatever you want to call it!
To be honest I realized I am not a huge fan of the vegan deli meats still. I had tried them earlier when I first became vegan and hated them, but I thought maybe now I’d warm up to it. Not a chance, just not my thing I guess. So that kind of threw me off a bit, but next time I’d like to make this with thin cut, crunchy, pan-fried tofu instead! I think it would contrast with the sweetness of the cranberry sauce a lot better. Another option would be to add this sauce as another side to my Vegan Mashed Potatoes & Gravy with Fried Eggplant meal!
Either way, you should all give it a go, mess around with different ingredients and figure out what you like best! You won’t know how good or bad something is until you try it! But, no matter what you absolutely still have to make this cranberry sauce. I am holding you to it!