What Is Self-Care?
Self-care is all about identifying your own needs and meet all those needs. Focus on yourself and do some activities that nurture your physical, mental, and emotional health. Self-care seems easy and simple, but people often forget about their own needs in their busy lives. Practicing good self-care can improve your mood, reduce anxiety, and teach you how to treat others.
Self-care should never involve something you don’t enjoy. The things you do should help refuel your mind and body. Remember, self-care isn’t a selfish act – it is simply knowing what must be done in order to take better care of ourselves.
Where Should You Start?
- Stay With The Basics: You will find what works best for you with time and adopt new ways of self-care that satisfy your needs.
- Plan Ahead: Try to avoid self-care that randomly occurs. Instead, make a brief list of what you would like to do – and stick to it!
- Pay Attention To What Works: Is a certain activity making you feel worse? Remove it from the schedule. Be conscious of what you do, why you do it, how it makes you feel, and what the outcome is.
List of 30 Ways To Practice Self-Care
- Go For A Walk
- Play With A Dog
- Take A Hot Shower
- Reorganize Your Room
- Visit Your Favorite Coffee Shop
- Take A Nap
- Fly A Kite
- Read A Book
- Learn To Draw Something New
- Find A DIY Activity On Pinterest
- Buy A Coloring Book (Adult Coloring Book for Stress Relief)
- Turn Off Your Phone
- Ask For Help When You Need It
- Stay Off Of Social Media
- Read Inspiring Quotes
- Listen To Calm Music
- Write Down Your Thoughts And Feelings
- Put Your Favorite Song On Repeat
- Put On Fresh, Comfy Clothes
- Find A Quiet Place And Meditate
- Avoid Triggers
- Light Your Favorite Candle
- Slow Your Breathing
- Take A 10 Minute Break
- Spend Time With Loved Ones
- Watch Your Favorite TV Show Or Movie
- Eat Energizing, Healthy Foods
Use some (or all) of these self-care practices to set up a daily routine. After two weeks see how different you feel.