Have you lost count of how many diets, shakes, pills, and magic powders you’ve taken? You’re not alone. Many people interested in losing weight are hit from every angle by ‘magical’ weight loss products, but we are here to lay down the facts.
The supplement industry is booming with the industry reaching $122 billion in 2016. (1) Along with this growing industry, comes wild health claims and false promises. Everybody wants you to buy their supplement, believe in their product, and forget about lack of results.
Exercise & Weight Management
“Lose 14 pounds in 14 days!” or “Drop 21 pounds in a month!” or “Take our supplement to drop 10 pounds in 10 days”
They all sound great – don’t they? The problem is, they probably aren’t true. Why do they do it? Because it SELLS!
People generally accept that they can lose weight, but maintaining significant weight loss over time is a completely different story. Continued weight loss requires more than a diet change – it requires a complete lifestyle makeover.
Exercise plays a very important role in reducing body weight and achieving a stable weight. Without restricting calories, exercising about 150 minutes per week has been associated with modest weight loss, while 225 to 420 minutes per week results in an 11 to 16.5-pound weight loss over twelve to eighteen weeks.
Don’t count yourself out if you don’t lose weight right away. Not gaining weight should be one of the primary focuses. The first few weeks of increased exercise should result in a weight gain stoppage. This is one of the many major steps, as your caloric intake no longer exceeds your caloric expenditure. If you can maintain weight, you can start to manage your weight.
Once you’ve stopped weight gain you can look deeper into your diet and exercise plan. Research shows that the healthiest rate for an individual to lose weight is around 1-2 pounds per week or around 1% of body fat per month. For example, it might take a 200-pound person five months to see a 5% body fat change (equating to 10 pounds). Not as easy as advertisements may make it seem. (2)
Subscribe to Chief Health to get access to our Free eBook, 30-Day Workout Plan, Shopping List, and Premium Newsletter.
What Can You Do?
It is estimated to achieve weight maintenance one should walk at 3 mph for 80 minutes per day, walk at 4 mph for 54 minutes, or jogging at 6 mph for 26 minutes. The amount may vary but these numbers are a great place to start.
Avoid These (Poor) Lifestyle Habits
- Eating to control stress levels
- Not portioning meals
- Foods with little nutritional value
- High caloric-density foods
- Microwaveable and ready-to-eat foods
- Multiple drive-thru trips
- Complete lack of physical activity
- Sedentary activities ie. video games, watching tv, laying in bed
- Only traveling by motor vehicle
Take On These (Healthy) Lifestyle Habits
- Begin cooking before you get hungry
- Find nutrient-packed superfoods
- Create a support system
- Keep a gym bag in the car
- Shop once a week or every few days
- Go for a walk, jog, or bike ride
- Find a friend looking to make a change
- Discover exercises and workouts you enjoy
Do you need a supplement that can help you in losing weight? Read our article on the Top 10 Weight Loss Supplements.
People often write down the first goals that come to mind, such as “tone up” or “lose some weight” and begin the exercise program. Effective goals are more specific and measurable than “toning up.”
- Emotional Health: Improvements in mood, energy levels, less stress and irritability, and sleep quality.
- Resting Heart Rate: Those new to exercise often experience a decrease in resting heart rate after a few months.
- Muscular Strength & Endurance: Improved muscular strength and endurance occur fairly quickly during the first months of an exercise program.
- Flexibility: Flexibility takes longer to improve and should only be included if regular stretching exercises are a part of the routine.
- Body Size: People who are slightly overweight may not see much change on the scale, but fat loss with an increase in muscle mass may still lead to a change in body size. Lean tissue takes up less space than fat tissue, so clothes may fit more loosely than before.
- Skill Level: Activities that require skill, such as rock climbing, tennis, golf, basketball, etc. will be happy to see improvements in their motor-skill levels.
- Balance: Balance training is becoming increasingly popular and can lead to fewer falls in older age.
Fighting obesity and excess weight can be challenging and frustrating. You will continually need to make the time to cook, find exercises you enjoy, and use willpower to push temptations away. The truth is harsh: the weight loss road is long and winding with little to no shortcuts, but achieving your fitness goals is absolutely possible. Your ideal body can become reality with persistence, the right information, a proper diet, and a great workout plan.